ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Army West Point women's lacrosse team earned a historic victory on Saturday when the Black Knights defeated the 24th-ranked Navy Midshipmen, 14-9, as part of the Star Series presented by USAA for the program's first-ever win over the Mids.
The Black Knights accomplished a pair of program's firsts in the victory with their first-ever win over Navy in seven attempts while also handing the Mids their first defeat in league play and the Black Knights' first-ever win over a ranked opponent.
Army took over the game in the third quarter. The score was tied at 6-6 with 12 minutes left in the third quarter before the Black Knights outscored the Mids 8-3 to end the game.
Jolie Riedell put Army ahead with a goal at the 10-minute mark. Two minutes later, Kathleen Sullivan scored for an 8-6 lead. After Navy scored 34 seconds later, Riedell answered with her third goal of the game one minute later as the Black Knights took a 9-7 lead into the fourth quarter.
Army held a 10-8 advantage with 11 minutes left in the game. The Black Knights maintained control of the contest and eventually went on a 3-0 scoring run. Julia Gorajek scored to make it 11-8 with 10:46 on the clock. Five minutes later, Sullivan added another goal and was followed by a goal from Carleigh Armstrong for a 13-8 lead. Riedell capped the scoring with 37 seconds on the clock.
Navy scored 37 seconds into the game but the score was tied at 2-2 after the first quarter. Riedell's goal to open the second quarter gave Army its first lead of the game. The score was knotted at 3-3 when Gorajek scored a pair of goals for a 5-3 lead; Armstrong scored her first of the game for a 6-3 lead with three minutes left in the first half. Navy scored two goals before halftime and tied the game at 6-6 early in the third quarter.
- Lacey Bartholomay set a new career-high in saves with 17 which are the second-most in program history.
- Julia Gorajek scored four goals, including a career-high three goals on free-position attempts, to finish with four points.
- Jolie Riedell netted four goals, won three draw controls, and had two caused turnovers.
- Caroline Raymond had three points on a team-high two assists and one goal. She won three draw controls and had one ground ball.
- Kathleen Sullivan had two points from two goals to set the single-season points record (68).
- Carleigh Armstrong scored twice.
- Ceara Sweeney had a game-high four ground balls.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Army won its first-ever game against a nationally-ranked opponent.
- The Black Knights won their first-ever game over Navy in seven attempts.
- The nine goals are the fewest goals allowed against Navy and are the tied for the fewest the Mids have scored this season.
- The 17 saves are the second-most in program history.
- The Black Knights have four 40-goal scorers – Julia Gorajek (48), Jolie Riedell (46), Carleigh Armstrong (42), and Kathleen Sullivan (41) – which are the most in the nation.
- Army's 11 wins are the second-most in program history. The program record for wins is 14 (2019).