ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Army West Point rifle team topped Navy in Saturday's star match, 5820-5799.
The match followed the service academy scoring system, which uses the top five marks from eight predetermined starters. Army also won the match using the NCAA scoring system, 4666-4648.
"I think everyone did their best today and we all came out with something to work on for qualifiers," senior captain Kaitlyn Kutz said. "It was nice to end my last star match out on a high."
The Black Knights owned the top three aggregate scores. In smallbore, Army had four of the top five marks.
"Although I'm not super thrilled with my air performance, I'm very proud of the progress I've made in smallbore so far and I'm glad that my effort culminated in the PR I had today," said Spencer Gillis, who shot a 572 in smallbore. "Especially because this was against Navy, I'm excited that I'm starting to put positions together and look forward to continuing to work hard down at the range with my teammates leading up to NCAAs."
Army now owns the 4-2 lead the Star Series presented by USAA.
AGGREGATE: ARMY 5820, NAVY 5799 (NCAA: ARMY 4666, NAVY 4648)
- The Black Knights owned the top three aggregate scores on the day.
- Clayon Hanson posted a combined total of 1171, while Lauren McMahan was right behind him at 1170.
- Kyle Kutz had the third highest score at 1165.
SMALLBORE: ARMY 2890, NAVY 2869 (NCAA: ARMY 2318, NAVY 2301)
- The Black Knights claimed four of the top five spots in smallbore.
- Kyle Kutz and McMahan tied for first with marks of 581.
- Navy's Michael Zanti placed third with a score of 580.
- Hanson had the fourth highest mark at 579, while Kaitlyn Kutz shot a 577.
- Gillis rounded out the scoring for the Cadets with a mark of 572.
AIR RIFLE: ARMY 2930, NAVY 2871 (NCAA: ARMY 2348, NAVY 2347)
- Hanson earned the top spot in air rifle with a mark of 592.
- McMahan was Army's next highest finisher with a score of 589, good for third place.
- Kyle Kutz (584), Emily Gay (583) and Kaitlyn Kutz (582) rounded out the scoring for the Black Knights.
Army will host Great America Rifle Conference foe Nebraska at the Tronsrue Marksmanship Center on Saturday, February 13.