WEST POINT, N.Y. - Army collected it's second star in the Star Series presented by USAA when it defeated Navy in golf for the second straight year.
The Black Knights jumped out to a 3.5-0.5 lead after four-ball play on Saturday and then earned points in the first four singles matches on Sunday to secure victory. The match was decided after Army had taken a 7-1 lead on the final day, making it impossible for the Mids to mount a comeback.
- Gunnar Doyle earned the first point of the Sunday singles matches by earning a 1-up victory over Thomas Garbee.
- Matt Plunkett secured the second point of the day with a clutch 50-foot putt to win 2-up over Navy's Charlie Musto.
- Army claimed the Star when Tom Katsenes finished on the 17th hole by winning 2-and-1 and almost at the exact time, Justin Williamson halved his match with Navy's Griffin Peters.
- The Black Knights have won the Star in six of the last seven years.
- Navy claimed wins over Sam Yom and James McKee but Nick Turner rounded out the points for Army when he defeated Ward Wilkinson by 2-up.
1. Army: 8
2. Navy: 3
Gunnar Doyle def. Thomas Garbee, 1-up
Matt Plunkett def. Charlie Musto, 2-up
Justin Williamson halved Griffin Peters
Tom Katsenes def. Jake Miles, 2-and-1
Paul Mauer def Sam Yom, 1-up
Matthew Starobin def. James McKee, 2-up
Nick Turner def Ward Wilkinson, 2-up
SATURDAY'S FOUR BALL
Turner and Yom def. Thomas Garbee and Paul Mauer, 1-up
Doyle and Katsenes def. Charlie Musto and Michael Brennan, 3-and-1
Williamson and Plunkett def. Griffin Peters and Matthew Starobin, 2-up
McKee and Messner halved Jake Miles and Ward Wilkinson